Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary . . .

*
I always love it in January when I start getting seed catalogs. Just when I've had enough cold weather, I get those little rays of sunshiney hope in the mail! I've been perusing them now for quite some time, circling all the items I will buy when the weather gets warmer. And, voila!, that time is now.
*
My absolute FAVORITE resource for garden seeds is Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company {or www.rareseeds.com}.
*
I just placed my order with them on Saturday. This is the third year I've ordered from them. I vowed a few years back to fill my 1200+ sq. ft. organic garden with heirloom vegetables {non-gmo seeds that can be saved from year to year . . . NO HYBRIDS} and Baker Creek's huge selection of unique and interesting seeds is incomparable!
*
My order included the following seeds {amongst many others}:
*

{costata romanesco summer squash}

This is my absolute favorite zucchini-type summer squash!!! The flavor is wonderful, a bit nutty and very creamy, not to mention that the fruit is still soft and delectable even when it grows quite large. We ate it all before we could save seeds from it last year, so I'm ordering it again this year.
*
We all love beans in our family, and they ALWAYS grow great in our garden! These long beans that grow 12-18 inches in length looked so fun, so we'll plant them this year and see what happens!
*

{chocolate morning glory}
Baker Creek also sells flower seeds! Morning glories are some of my favorite climbing flowers! They're always so cheery! These unique flowers will look lovely climbing up my front porch post!
*
{jelly melon}
We always plant something new every year. The description for this jelly melon reads: "the fruit has a sour-sweet, banana-lime-tropical fruit taste". This melon looked like so much fun! I know my kids will LOVE growing this!!!
*
Well, my order is in. Now the waiting begins! In the meantime, we'll prepare the beds, sprinkle some kelpmeal, cottonseedmeal and bonemeal over everything, mulch . . . and wait for those beautiful, glorious heirloom seeds to arrive. You can bet that I'll be checking the mail every day!!!
*
Happy Gardening!



Fondly, Kate


No comments:

Post a Comment